Skip to content
Home ยป Two Women Die Following Aberdeen Flat Fire

Two Women Die Following Aberdeen Flat Fire

Two women have died following a fire at a block of flats in Aberdeen.

Emergency services were sent to Back Hilton Road at about 18:00 on Monday. The women were pronounced dead at the scene.

Neighbouring properties were evacuated and a baby was taken to hospital but was later discharged. The BBC understands the baby was not related to either of the women.

A joint police and fire investigation is being carried out into the cause.

However, police said there did not appear to be any suspicious circumstances.

Five others were rescued and treated by the Scottish Ambulance Service.

One local resident, who did not wish to be named, told BBC Scotland News she saw people being rescued from the building via a window and taken down ladders.

Image caption, Dr Ehsan Ali, 35, Shazil Ehsan, 5, and Dr Unaiza Imtiaz, 31, live in an adjacent block of flats

Dr Unaiza Imtiaz, 31, lives in an adjacent block of flats with her partner Dr Ehsan Ali, 35, and five-year-old son Shazil Ehsan.

She said the family were out at the time of the fire but when they got home were met with ambulances, fire engines and police cars.

“The area was cordoned off. All we could see was the smoke going into the sky,” she said.

“It was the same building so it was really scary. We feel really sorry that two people lost their lives.

“It’s not a good thing to recall, especially with a little one who is afraid when people are talking about someone being dead.

“I really pray for the ones who have gone.”

Image caption, Ashley Finnie lived next door to the women who died

Ashley Finnie, 33, who lives in a flat next to the one where the women died, said she was not home when firefighters came but could see and speak to them on a doorbell camera.

“I could just see firefighters running back and forth,” she said.

“It turned out it was my next-door neighbours but I don’t know them.

“It’s horrible. It puts it into perspective. I need to replace a bunch of furniture but I’m alive.

“I thought everyone had got out so I had no idea there had been fatalities.”

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) area commander Andrew Wright said seven fire engines and specialist resources were sent to the building, where the fire had taken hold on the first floor.

He added: “Our thoughts are with all of those affected by this incident at this difficult time.

“Our crews demonstrated unwavering dedication and professionalism as they dealt with an extremely challenging incident in collaboration with the Scottish Ambulance Service and Police Scotland colleagues.

“Crews worked tirelessly to make the area safe before leaving the scene at 21:02.”